And it only took 4 months!!!! Yikes! Should not have taken that long but this was the kind of piece where I could not just sit and hook away and have fun. This one required concentration, a LOTTTTTTT of different wools and a lot of ripping out and rehooking. So was it a fun piece – hmmmmm – it was a challenging piece! And challenge is good! And I am happy with the end result. Will I do another VG – yes!!!! I love his sunflowers and of course Starry Night is one of my favourite paintings – will it be soon? Probably not – for now I need to just play for a while – something a little LESS CHALLENGING 🙂 .
To hook this piece I used exclusively 6 – 8 value swatches which I had taken apart and spot dyed in a measuring cup in the microwave! So there were no solid wools or even textures except the very outside row which was a wonderful texture. So lots of short, spot dyed swatches. I love taking swatches (which I do not use as I do not do fine shading) and spot dyeing them in the microwave. Soak a bunch of related colours in all the values, squish them into a two cup measuring cup and pour on one related colour and microwave for 3.5 minutes; flip the wool and pour on the second related colour and microwave for 3.5 minutes and then do this process one final time with another related colour. By related colours I mean if I started with a blue solid swatch in 8 values I would make up three blue formulas in say sky blue, turquoise and smoky blue. This gave me amazing spot dyed valued pieces of wool to work with. I used about 1/16 of each colour to spot dye about 8 pieces of swatch. It was a wonderful, fun way to repurpose something which I would not have otherwise used.
So here is my Wheatfields – not perfect but perfect for me! And yes I used artistic license to darken things up a bit and make alllllll that blue a blue I could live with (cause you KNOW I am NOT a blue person 🙂 )… (started this in September in a class taught by Carol Shewan – thanks Carol for all your tips and help).