Well yesterday Gord and I decided to take a day off and go to the antique show in Kingston. It was a great show – lots of wonderful antiques and primitives but SOOOOOOOOOO out of my budget! There were about 2 booths with small stuff that was more vintage than antique that I could have afforded – I almost! bought a nice red painted box but in the end abstained! Lots of wonderful old hooked rugs including quite a few Grenfells and G E Tremblays and other antique rugs – if you could afford to pay $$$; beautiful folkart – saw a gorgeous old horse weathervane for only $6800! lots of fun Nova Scotia folk art. Even though the prices were much more than I could ever afford, it was fun and I enjoyed looking at stuff and was relieved not to be tempted!!!
So I bought nothing there – instead afterwards we went to the junk market where I got the wierdest piece of metal furniture thingy that I am going to use to hold all my wool strips for projects as I work on them. It has 3 big troughs that could hold a lot of wool strips and I can even semi sort them by colour or area on the rug. As you can see from the photo it hmmmm needs a bit of work but Gord is going to sand and paint and distress it for me to cover all the rust – so biggggg expense at 6.00(my kind of shopping! :-)) If anyone knows what this lovely??? piece was in its former life please let me know – but it will have a good use in its new life!!!
Today I had company – noooo not the guys below!!!!!
Wendy and her daughter Patrice (both hookers and extremely talented ladies) came for a dye and play day. Patrice had never dyed before and wanted to dye wool for the next piece she is going to hook – this is the result. We did what I call lasagna dyeing – not sure if there is another term for this???) – we put one layer of crumpled up wool in the bottom of a glass 9×9 inch pan and poured our lightest colour on this (so for instance one set of colours started with Cushings tan on the bottom – 1/16th tsp mixed in about 3/4 cup water with a touch of vineagar); then we put a second layer of wool crumpled up on top of this and poured Cushings medium brown – in this case we wanted the colour a bit darker so used 1/16 plus 1/32; the third layer of crumpled wool got a very diluted Cushings bright purple and a bit of reserved medium brown. Each layer would get squished down with a potato masher and lifted so that there were no white spots. As we squished down each layer a bit of the colour underneath would bleed up and colour from above would bleed down. Then pop – into the microwave (not the one I use for all my cooking :-)) for 10 minutes which was sufficient time for the water to go clear and then let it rest for a while and voila – wonderrrrrful wool that was perfect for her project!