For months I have been “breaking my head” trying to come up with a design for our fraktur challenge for Camp Iawah retreat weekend. Had lots of ideas but wanted it to be a “functional” or “different” piece rather than my usual rug or pillow. But for some reason nothing was happening. Finally a few days ago the light went on so to speak and I quickly drew out my design, put it on backing and pulled colours. I needed a piece to go on the top of my ugly little table that I found last week which will eventually be a beautiful primitive little table (well beautiful might be pushing it a tad) – now with a hooked rug on it. Gord wanted originally to sand off all the oxblood colour finish but I reminded him that that was what gave the piece character and charm – without that wonderful patina and the nicks and porky chewed corners it really WOULD be an ugly little table! So now we just have to figure out a way of cleaning it up. But my fraktur is designed to fit right on the top! So I have put aside Maud and Karen and am focusing on Fraktur. It hooked up realllly quickly (guess I was motivated by the fact that Iawah is in a few weeks) and I am now just finishing off with a narrow showbinding so hopefully by tomorrow I will have the table all cleaned up and fixed (do have to do SOMETHING with the chewed corners) and the rug will be sitting on it and I can post a picture!
This weekend we had company – sister-in-law and her beau and my niece Dayna. Dayna discovered rughooking!!! Saturday she designed, drew out on backing, colour planned, cut wool and started hooking. Sunday at 1 p.m. it was done! It was her own design and she hooked in roving and yarns in addition to cut strips – I think for her very first piece hooked in less than 24 hours she did an amazing job. Now she is hooked and planning a design for her next rug which will be BIGGER. This piece ended up about 9 x 9.